Christ was quoted to have said “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
This is a reference to lucifer one of the watchers of the earth. The Book of Enoch tells us that some angels, called the watchers, came to this world and polluted the human race. That part from the Book of Enoch, wouldn’t be the first time nor has it been the last time this happened. It is still happening as you read through this write up. I am of the opinion that they did it like the first, maybe the leader, of the watchers did- with lies.
In the beginning it was written that man was created in the image of God. This means man was already a god from the creation. He was created with the inherent abilities of his Creator and therefore a creator himself. He was given free-will to create whatever he feels like creating. But he couldn’t create evil because this was not what was inside him. We still create and will continue to create as long as time remains. So man was already a god on earth. In fact he was given an order from The Creator to dominate and multiply – and that is to rule and make more gods. Only kings rule, right?
Therefore man was ruler of the earth.
So why would Jesus, The Christ, ascribe lies to Lucifer? The answer is in plain sight. When Eve was visited by lucifer, he told her “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
A few questions arise from the last sentence in the preceding paragraph.
1. What fruit was he talking about?
2. What did God say about the fruit?
3. What happened after they ate from it?
4. Was God right?
5. What lessons can we gain from this?
The fruit was from the tree of good and evil. Before eating the fruit man only knew Good and never knew what evil was. Some say the fruit was literal while some people, like me, believe it was figurative but this is a topic for later debate.
God had told our first parents not to “eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.”
Evil leads to death. Man would never die as long as man does not disobey and God does not lie. So in essence, man is a god. Eve didn’t lie to Lucifer; she had spoken the Truth.
The lies Lucifer had spoken were:
1. God lied to man,
2. man’s eyes would be OPENED and
3. man would be LIKE God.
God didn’t lie because the outcome of what happened after they ate the fruit was that they fell. Instead of their eyes being opened they became closed. They couldn’t imagine for themselves anymore. For instance, God had to get them cloths to cover their shame. If their eyes were opened they could have imagined what to do and in the process clothe themselves. God must have taught them a lot before sending them out of Eden (this is the fall) because they would not have been able to use their creative faculties outside Eden.
Did they become like God? This was the biggest of his lies. They were already gods. Lucifer had to tell them that lie because he was jealous of man. He wanted to be like God and man was the image of God- God in solid state. His rebellion was very obvious at this point. He so wanted to be like God he planted the seed of rebellion in man. And because he fell, he also wanted man to fall. He wanted to create his own army of rebellious foot soldiers who would be like him and be disobedient.
Is this same scenario playing out till date? Yes! If he tried using the same trick on Jesus in the wilderness, it suffice to say that his diabolical sense of humour is still prevalent today.
In today’s world he still comes as a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He says you cannot become great and you believe him, ignorant of your true inner potentials. He says you are a failure oblivious of the fact that you are already a success the day you picked up your tools and decided to finish this race a success, yet you believe him. Earl Nightingale defined success as a gradual realisation of a pre-determined goal. Success isn’t just at the end of the race. It starts from the beginning of that race. The devil lies to you about what God says. He lies that this or that challenge will spell your doom when in reality he knows you are going to use that challenge as the first of your staircases to success. He is the father of the lies! He looks for any trick in the book.
So how can we combat this warhead? This is a simple question.
1. Know who you are: I have taken time to study the scripture and I have learnt one important thing- for as a man thinks in his heart, so is he. If you think of yourself as a slave of circumstances then you are a slave. If you think of yourself as a slave to your pastor or imam, so you are. If you think of yourself as a failure, then you are. But if you think of yourself as a god, knowing God breath flows through you, then you become a creative force. You cease to be controlled by circumstances. You start controlling circumstances and you move through the maze life had forced you in, getting to the threshold as a victor. “Ye are gods, children of the Most High….”
2. Trust God: If you believe me, you will trust me. God does not lie. If He says you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free, believe it, for it is Truth. If He says He will not give you a temptation that is too much for you to bear thereby having suicidal tendencies, trust Him because that is the Truth. If He says faith without works is dead, get up and go get a job for this is Truth. If He says He is your shepherd and you lack nothing, good brothers and sisters it is Truth so don’t allow the devil come say you have nothing because he is the father of the lies. You have all you can imagine you have.
Tupac, the legendary rapper, once asked “who do you believe in?” I want us to clarify this: God’s Truth or the devil’s lies?